Wednesday, November 15, 2006

what's my real mission?

so today's my first day on the STMnetwork job. so far, so fun! i had some time to really reflect on what i'm launching into on my way home from dropping my son off at the babysitter's this morning.
i've been staying home with my kids now for almost 2 years. i've rediscovered what life is all about in that time away from full-time ministry. what an identity crisis though! at first, i didn't know what to tell people i was anymore. i used to say when asked: i'm a youth pastor. that was easy though, because #1 - i was, and #2 - it gave me a real solid identity. when i left that job, i wasn't sure how to answer that question. i came up with answers like: speaker guy (because i've done some of that in the interim), unemployed bum, self-employed pseudo-bum, renovations guy (because i've done some of that too), and finally a stay-at-home dad. that last answer, when given by itself, usually raised the most eyebrows! not a lot of guys do that for a living, but i learned to be proud of it, and to embrace my new identity. my wife worked very hard for those almost 2 years so that i didn't have to, and it helped me refocus my priorities and life purposes.
so why all the reminiscing? well, now that i've started a new job, in the "missions" world, i want to make sure i don't give my now old but previously newfound identity the shaft. my real mission is to live my best life now (no i haven't read joel osteen's book, and never will) with my wife and kids, to be the most amazing husband and father i can be with God's help, and to keep the Great Commission the focus of everything i do around those things.
the STMnetwork will get the best of my 9am-5pm days, and some evenings and weekends when needed. sounds like a cell phone plan! BUT, my family will know that they are my #1 priority...my real mission. thank you God for Heather, Emma, and Tyler. wawaweewa!
can't wait to get this thing going...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your reminiscing, love that you want to put family first!!

Can't wait to see where all this hard work "GO"es!

He@h

christine said...

matt that's awesome!

heather pointed me to your blog. yes, heather and i are now easily connected via myspace! i love it.

congratulations on the new job - i know you will do it really really well!!!!!!!!!!!

so cool.
-c

Anonymous said...

WOW. Well stated.
You'll be good at this new phase as well as keeping what's important to you a priority.
KIM

Anonymous said...

m@,
i vouch for the fact that this 'mission' isn't just talk but a reality in your life. you're a great 'hubby to chubbo', an awesome father to 2 of the cutest kiddies on the planet, and an inspiration to people who want to 'go for God'.

i'm blessed that you're my bro.

r$

Anonymous said...

r$ and m@. I'm jealous of your cool abbreviated names. ;-)

Anonymous said...

m@... Love this post! Pray that you'll love and grow leaps and bounds in this new stage of your life!